AS THE YEAR WINDS DOWN, WE'RE ASKING THE STARS OF 2013 TO GIVE US RECAPS OF THEIR MOST MAJOR MOMENTS
ZANA BAYNE IS EVERYONE'S FAVORITE LEATHER ACCESSORIES DESIGNER, FROM BÉYONCE TO LADY GAGA TO LORDE TO CIARA, TO VICTORIA'S SECRET'S RUNWAY SHOW. SHE GAVE VMAGAZINE.COM THESE EXCLUSIVE IMAGES FROM HER S/S '14 PARIS PRESENTATION AND TWO TOP-MOMENTS TIMELINES: HER SKYROCKETING BRAND'S FULL EVOLUTION, AND HER BIGGEST YEAR YET, 2013
ZANA BAYNE THEN AND NOW
June 2008 - Garbage Dress Started the blog Garbage Dress which chronicled my life and nightlife in San Francisco, often posting personal fashion finds and projects, gaining a major fan following (the blog ran until October 2012)
April 1st 2009 - The Basic Harness crafted my first leather harness out of raw, undyed leather and posted it on Garbage Dress. Although I had only intended on making one for myself, the reaction was so strong that I ended up making a few more to sell to my readers
April 15th 2009 - I packed up two suitcases of clothes and a sewing machine and moved from SF to Berlin. While there, I worked closely with LURVE as a guest editor and photographer, and went to my first Paris Fashion Week (menswear) in June
August 1st 2009 - Moved from Berlin to NYC, taking breaks from handing out résumés to explore the garment district. Less than two weeks after landing (and strapped for cash) I restarted my harness-making through my blog which persisted and evolved through 2010 as a side project while working retail. As I developed new styles, I wore them out to parties with my then-roommate Cameron Cooper who introduced me to the gritty and glamorous gay nightlife scene. I started to give harnesses to my best dressed friends (Ladyfag, makeup artist Kristin Gallegos, hairstylist Wesley O'Meara) to wear out and about.
December 2010 - By then, I had begun to attract early attention from stylists. Patti Wilson put Miranda Kerr in my Triangle Garter Belt for Número #114, and Marni Senofonte dressed Ciara in my Francesca Harness for two talk show performances, just days after my S/S '11 look book was published on December 17th
January 1st 2011 - My first day having quit working retail to focus on my leather collection full-time
May-August 2011 - I was contacted by Nicola Formichetti's studio to make custom gold leather harnesses for Lady Gaga's dancers on Saturday Night Live. I continued working with Studio Formichetti throughout 2011 to make custom tour pieces for Gaga, and in August the music video for 'You And I' premiered featuring Gaga and nine of her dancers wearing full body harnesses, all hand-crafted and hand-delivered by me from my studio/apartment in Brooklyn
March 2012 - I was invited by my friend/designer Norisol Ferrari to work out of her atelier in Manhattan as a way to help expand my business and gain physical proximity to the industry. The move from my apartment studio to a working design space made it possible to grow my collection.
Since the move in March, we have delivered three full collections and have joined the fashion calendar to show in Paris during womenswear week. Each season is an evolution from the next, taking the idea that began as a basic harness into a range of accessories including leather handbags, bustiers, headpieces, and more.
TOP 2013 MOMENTS
1. Premiering the Zana Bayne Collection VI in Paris with the accompanying fashion film by Char Alfonzo during menswear week in January, then barely being able to fly black to NYC due to a freak blizzard
2. Being named one of Paper's "Beautiful People" of 2013
3. Working with Sally Singer, Amy Fine Collins, and Derek Blasberg to help complete their looks (with leather) for the Met Gala
4. Being photographed by the notorious Richard Kern in my apartment for a feature in Purple
5. Having my Moulded Rose Headpiece worn by Marina Abramović in V83—my college major was conceptual art, so this was a very special moment and a complete honor
6. Collaborating with W Hotels to design a strappy skateboard for the youth foundation, STOKED
7. Fitting a belt on Béyonce backstage before one of her performances at Barclays Center, and then watching the incredible Mrs. Carter Show stage-side
8. Presenting the collaborative PENDV x Zana Bayne Magnum Opus Capsule Collection during New York Fashion Week in September hosted by Opening Ceremony's space at the Superpier. The night included an inspiring performance by dancers from the Legendary House Of Ninja to sounds by Njena Redd Foxx and Creep, finishing with our models marching out to the bass beats of Slava
9. Showing the Zana Bayne S/S '14 collection during Paris Fashion Week in September in an intimate flower shop, and having Ellen Von Unwerth jumping in to pose for photo ops with the models
10. Meeting the visionaries Rei Kawakubo and Adrian Joffe, and later joining the designer roster at the renovated Comme Des Garçons shop in NYC
11. Participating in my mom's beautiful Sonoma wedding in October